Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Photo by Maisie Duncan
I posted this photo on my writer's blog in regards to how a good book can inspire and change lives, even if it is primarily pictures. But I thought this photo was also very relevant to those of you who may read this blog and not my other.

The book depicts photos and captions of different women in similar cultures, as well as their own, who had broken the mold and made great achievements. I loved being able to be a part of that experience and watch as they looked over the photos and maybe even got a few ideas of their own.

These girls live in a third world country that in many ways is still in the state it was a thousand years ago. Poverty is an understatement, and women have it especially rough. But I learned something very significant from these girls.

They showed me true courage can exist in the form of an 10year old girl. That no matter how hard it gets, faith is the strongest foundation to build any life upon. They showed me how to be grateful for even the smallest of things, like a bag of rice. They showed me that a dream is more powerful than any other motivator in this world.

I learned a lot from my deployment, but nothing made as much of an impact as the young women of Sharan. I pray their dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment