Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy Hol... err...Chris...err...Oh, forget it.

I received a sales add in my e-mail today offering a dictionary of politically correct terms. I thought, "wow. There is a need for an entire dictionary!"

Before I go any further, I want to say that I am all for considering the feelings of others and being all inclusive. But I think that, as we do with so many things in this country, we just take it too far. The trend seems to be moving away from being considerate to being fearful. And not only fearful but extremely possessive.

Plus it seems that being politically correct is only okay when it works for the one trying to enforce it. Like this whole Holiday vs. Christmas thing. 

Personally it doesn't bother me if some one says Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. I don't understand why so many get upset about it. It is the holiday season because so many holidays fall into this time of year, so it is just easy to say "happy holidays". Plus Christmas isn't the only religious holiday that is celebrated at this time.

So, I don't feel it's taking Christ out of Christmas, as so many argue, but including all religions that celebrate the season of love, forgiveness, and faith in their own way. Isn't that the point? Not just the point of being politically correct, but also in celebrating Christmas? Not just Jesus' birth but what he stood for? What so many believe he died for?

This season doesn't belong to Christmas alone. And I think if the big guy were here he would say something along the lines of "celbrate the purpose and the meaning not the title and commercialization". Let's remember what it's really about, people!

If we concern ourselves with being truthful, kind, and generous all the rest will fall into place and we won't have to worry so hard to about what and how we say things. Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seems to me, those who really care are those that don't want it to be a two way street.

No one is trying to take over Christmas. Santa has taken care of that. We want to commercialize everything then complain when it happens. We celebrate a fat old man more often than the actual purpose of the holiday, but get steamed if someone puts 'X' in place of 'Christ' in Christmas.

Bottom line, no matter what you call it, it's about love. Let's not forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment