Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Be Selfish to Be Selfless

Like so many, I have once again come to a point in my life where I am having to make some decisions in regards to which direction I plan on taking my life from this moment on. Everything changes. Children grow older, we grow older, jobs change, school ends. It can be  difficult to handle watching what you have grown so accustomed to melt away. And whether this melting is caused by a poor economy, too high tuition, or just plain gravity we so often feel helpless.

Photo by Maisie Duncan
The fear of the unknown is so great we are often paralyzed by indecision. As a result we lose our ability to fight the urge to resist. We resist so hard and so long we can no longer move forward, adapt, accept, celebrate, appreciate. We refuse the change so greatly that the world just leaves us behind and changes with out us.

I don't like this idea at all. 

I like my routine. I like my nightly rituals and chocolate habits and a good general idea of what is going to happen the next day and the day after that. But I don't like it so much that I am willing to give up the future.

I want to live. Really live! I want to be in the moment and know it is inconstant and revel in the fact that a new moment is happening and it is overflowing with possibility.

And so much of this depends on our health. Not our bodily health, although that is important. But our spiritual health. Putting a dried up flower in the warmth of the sun isn't going to do anything. Not if the flower isn't properly watered, nourished, and cared for. We understand this. We water our gardens and feed our dogs and tend to our children and our husbands. But so many times we forget to take care of our most vital component. Us.

How many times have I been so busy taking care of family affairs and the business of others I didn't even give myself time to eat? Finally, it's 10:30p.m. and I'm shoveling a bowl of cereal in my mouth over the sink. This is crazy! And I know I am not alone.

So, to tie this all together here, I have made my first decision in my little crossroads. And I encourage you all to make this same promise.

I am making the decision to remember that change is necessary for progress, and that I can not take on the challenges of this change or accept the benefits of progress if I am beaten down. So for this moment and every moment from now on I am going to be at least a little selfish so that I may be selfless.

No comments:

Post a Comment